f you’re struggling with belly fat, you’ve probably tried every diet possible. If those diets aren’t working for you it’s possible that the cause of your belly fat is really about your stress levels rather than your diet.
Stress isn’t always a bad thing. We need stress to help get through challenging experiences and to push us to do our best. But more and more we live in a world where stress becomes a chronic experience rather than something which happens once in a while.
Cortisol causes your body to experience chronic inflammation and can direct fat stores directly to your belly. This situation can increase your risk of disease and it can cause you to age faster. The good news is that you can reverse this problem by practicing stress reduction and management techniques.
When you begin to soothe the inflammation in your body you can lose belly fat, reverse signs of aging, and reduce your risk of disease.
- First, work to eliminate any stress that you can. For many people this means saying no to things to which you might usually say yes. Delegate any activities you can and clear your schedule as much as possible.
- Next, learn to manage the stress that you can’t eliminate. Taking time to learn better time management and organization skills can cut back on stress.
- Daily meditation is also a good practice to help calm the stress that accumulates in your mind and body.
- Another lifestyle factor that can greatly reduce cortisol levels is getting enough sleep. Most adults need 7-9 hours of sleep, but are getting far fewer. Make it a practice to go to bed at the same time each night to get into a sleep routine. Cut off caffeine a few hours before bed and stop looking at electronic devices an hour or two before bed time.
- If you still have a hard time falling asleep, you might consider taking the supplement melatonin to help you rest better.
- Exercise and a healthy diet also go a long way toward supporting your body when it’s under stress. Exercise, in particular, helps with stress management.
By reducing your stress you can reduce your cortisol levels and ultimately be able to get rid of belly fat.