he diet industry is a multi-billion dollar business. Marketers are promoting the sale of diet products from the latest fad diet to consumers at an alarming rate. (Source: ABC News)
The CDC (Center for Disease Control) reports that in the past 20 years, obesity rates have dramatically increased in the United Sates. It’s estimated that more than one-third of U.S. adults (34.9%) and approximately 17% (or 12.7 million) of children and adolescents aged 2—19 years have obesity.
That’s only the tip of the alarming statistics.
- It’s estimated that 50% of American adults are dieting at any given time.
- Roughly half of American adults are trying to lose or maintain their weight.
- An estimated 108 million American adults were dieting in 2012.
- The average American adult tries to implement a fad diet 4 times per year.
- Within two weeks, 25% of Americans will have given up on their weight loss goals.
- The U.S. weight loss market is now almost evenly split in dollar terms between weight loss products and services – products account for an estimated 49.3% of the total in 2013 ($29.8 billion), and services account for 50.7% ($30.7 billion). The total market value fell 1.2% last year to $60.5 billion and is expected to grow only 1.2% this year. (Source: Market Data Enterprises)
As these numbers show, obesity rates are reaching epidemic proportions. Many industrialized nations lead a sedentary lifestyle that only encourages weight gain. More and more people are following some type of diet plan than ever before. Often times these diets are the latest fad.
What is a Diet Fad?
Before we get to the different types of diets, we should talk about what a diet fad is. If you are ready to begin losing weight you need to know the difference in the types of diets.
The definition of a fad diet is subjective. It depends on who you are asking, really. There are many people who use the term fad diet as a way to ridicule what they think is a poor way to lose weight. Others believe that a fad diet is simply a way to lose weight that’s quickly become popular and often falls out of favor just as quickly.
Fad diets are basically marketed as a quick way to lose weight. They tend to change from year to year but the promises marketers make don’t change.
Not all diets are a fad even if they are considered so by some. The low carb diet and the gluten free diet plan are both a lifestyle change often put into place because of a health issue.
For instance, the low-carb craze is has been shown to lower blood pressure and improve symptoms of diabetes.
Some fad diets work for a while but are often impossible to stick to for the long term. To determine if the diet plan you are considering is just a fad ask yourself these questions:
- Are some foods completely off-limits?
- Does it promise you will lose an unrealistic amount of weight in a very short amount of time? For example, losing ten pounds in less than a week.
- Are foods referred to as good or bad?
- Are certain foods necessary and only found in special stores?
Diet fads are often made popular by the advertising ploys marketers use to convince consumers to buy into their products. They may use celebrities as spokes persons. They may show testimonies from people who have lost a large amount of weight using the said diet. These marketing ploys really hit home for people desperate to lose weight.
Keep in mind, though, not all diet plans are fads. Many of the more popular forms of weight loss plans are a very healthy way of eating. However, there are so many diet plans on the market that it’s easy to get confused.
That’s why we decided to publish the e-Book “Diet Plans Exposed: What Everyone Should Know About Fad Diets” and offer it to you for FREE!
Because “Diet Plans Exposed: What Everyone Should Know About Fad Diets” is a must read for EVERYONE! Not only if you are obese, overweight or carry to much fat. Yes, you read that right! Even if you don’t need to lose weight or burn excessive fat, it’s a must read book because the foods you chose also have a direct correlation with your overall health.
Go to our blog post “Diet Plans Exposed” if you want to learn more about the topics that are covered in the e-Book.